Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sixteen Candles

OK all you Madness fans out there. This has driven me crazy for 20 years. What version of the song "Our House" by Madness is playing during the opening dance sequence to the classic John Hughes film "Sixteen Candles"....

I think I have about 6 different versions of this song (12" dub mix, Stretch mix, us special remix, extended mix, budtheweiser mix, etc..) in my music collection, but I can find this one. It is very orchestral compared to the original score...Help please!

Here is a clip to refresh you memory.




UPDATE!!!!

Ok, the musician that wrote and performed many of the music scores for John Hughes, Ira Newborn, was contacted via email and here is what he had to say about the above mentioned "Our House" variation....


"Yes, I did "16 Candles" and I do remember having to "knock off" Our House by Madness because the studio didn't want to pay for the licensing fee...because when a studio commissions a composer to write music, they actually own it. It's called music-for-hire.' 
I don't really have any favorite projects. Maybe "The Blues Brothers" or "Weird Science." Talking to Kelly LeBrock in her underwear is something I will take to the grave with me. More impressive than the Grand Canyon.' 
"Filene" is exactly what it is. I had a girlfriend at the time who was black and I always used to kid her about black people making up funny names for their kids so I started calling her Filene and then used it in the song. I later called her "Lobelia" and used that in some other movie."


So there you go.  The song is called "Filene" and it is a knock off of Madness's "Our House".  Case closed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment