Friday, January 1, 2010

My Musical Milestones

Music has always played a big role in my life. I can track just about any event to a song or album of the time.

Just so there is a record of this; here is a list of all my "format firsts" that I ever purchased.

First 45 - Season In The Sun - Terry Jacks (1974)

First LP (mail order from a TV infomercial!) - The Monkees - The Monkees (Laurie House double LP) (Summer 1976)


First 8-Track - This One's For you - Barry Manilow (1976)

First LP (from a real record store) - Disovery - ELO (1979)

First Cassette - Blizzard Of Oz - Ozzy Ozborne (1980)

First CD - Welcome To the Pleasuredome - FGTH (1985)

First Razormaid CD - The Very Best Of Razormaid! RM-CD-01 (1987)

Burned my first CD-R - bought a first generation "WORM" drive and $1000 software package to be able to do this - freaked out all my friends that I could make my own music compilation CDs! (1994)

First dowloaded song (via Napster) - I Wanna Be A Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry (1999)

First purchased digital song (via iTunes) - Wichita Lineman - Johnny Cash (October 23, 2003) - First day of iTunes launch on PC.

Finally, on April 23, 2008, I acquired the complete Razormaid! library - 5727 songs from 550 LPs/CD since 1984 all in lossless (1000 Kbps) AAC digital format - delivered on a 500GB drive (April 23, 2008)

30 years later and the death of "format" has arrived. It's all 'bits' and can be had with 2 clicks of the mouse.

No more weekend trips the used CD store. No more rummaging through 'cut-out' bins a the Goodwill. No longer a sense of accomplishment of "discovering" that new band after hours of listening in the store.

Apple, you ruined my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment