Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Birthday Billy Bragg

December 20th, 2011 - Billy Bragg turns 54 years today!

I was first introduced to Billy by my good friend Dave Bennett back in high school.  Dave was a huge fan of Billy and was always singing his songs in Billy's cock British accent.  After awhile, I just learned the songs to sing along at the parties or on road trips.  Dave made a tape for me of "Talking with the Taxman about Poetry" (which is a great album by the way!).

So, naturally we had to go see Billy when he came stateside.  My first show was with my two pals, Dave and Larry, at the Ritz in New York (more on this venue in another post).  The show was on a Saturday night, November 22nd, 1986.  Even though Natalie Merchant opened the show (I can't stand her), the show was awesome!  Just Billy on state with his guitar and his song!  Billy's songs are so powerful, they don't need any accompaniment.   My favorites of the night were "Love Gets Dangerous", "The Milkman of Human Kindness" and of corse one of my all time favorite song, "A New England".

Cheers Billy!



No comments:

Post a Comment